view sourceprint?01 09 10

Background

Sunday, April 14, 2013

New Cabinets for $40, Part 2

 
If you read my last post, you know all about how our kitchen was much improved by painting the countertops black which I posted about here.  I had painted the little white medalions on the lower cabinet doors but later realized something more drastic needed to be done...
 



Obviously, the best way to start any big project is to first gather all the materials you'll need and a trusty assistant.  Check.
 

  
I figured what I wanted to do (probably) was to paint everything white.  So I started by taking everything out of the drawers and making as big of a mess as possible. 
 
 
 
The drawers came out and the doors came off.  I taped off as much as my patience would allow before I started painting.  I cleaned everything well with Krud Kutter, took off all the cabinet hardware and filled whatever dings I could with wall putty.  I didn't really sand but it probably would've come out smoother if I had.  I did one coat of Kilz Primer and then two more coats of white paint.
 
Here's some in progress shots:
 
 
 
 


Here's the finished project!  It was a big job but made our dark kitchen feel so much brighter and cheerier.  It also made me way less whiny.  I was totally obsessed with how much the kitchen sucked at the time.  Poor husband; it was probably 80% of conversation topics.





 
I had no complaints for months and months.  Then all the little spills down the cabinets, tongue scunge from dogs licking the spills off of the cabinets and orange paw prints started to add up.  Maybe white lower cabinets were not the best choice for our small castle of three dogs.  Unless I wanted to clean them every night (ha).
 
So I decided to repaint the bottom cabinets this bright teal color which matches the armoire we're using for a pantry.  I love them so much more now.  I'm too weird to have all white cabinets anyways. 
 



Good job Food Lady.  I'd lean on this cabinet any day!

So that's it for now.  Maybe my next kitchen post will be about my amazing new marble backsplash that future me will have...


Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment